Monday, November 14, 2005

November Fiddle Club Session

We had a great and lively session with the Potomac Valley Scottish Fiddle Club. Most of those who came for the workshop and stayed for dinner joined us for the session. As usual, the dominant instrument was fiddle, but we had hammered dulcimer, guitar, bodhran, Celtic cittern, and electronic bagpipes added to the mix as well.

The tunes played were a good selection of the tunes popular among fiddle club regulars. As usual, it was very heavy on the reels, but we had a few other tunes tossed in as well.

Here's a complete tune list, and PVSFC source for each of the tunes:

Welcome Whisky Back Again (not in PVSFC) - HOMEWORK!
Stumpie/Clumsy Lover/High Drive (XIII-1,XIII-4,XIII-2)
Willafjord/Spootiskerry (I-28,II-23)
Battle of Aughrim (V-13)
Mrs. MacLeod of Raasay (III-2)
Middling, Thank You (not in PVSFC)
Off She Goes (XI-34)
Muckin' O' Geordie's Byre (I-4)
Ayr Races (XIII-8)
Sailor's Wife (II-13)
A Tune For Glendale (XI-28)
Stool of Repentance (I-4)
Duke of Fife's Welcome to Deeside (I-1)
Jig of Slurs (III-4)
Drover Lads (I-8)
Tongadale Reel (XII-5)
Da Full Rigged Ship (X-15)
Apple Tree (XI-13) - HOMEWORK!
Skye Gathering (I-17)
Barrowburn Reel/Flowers of Edinburgh/Jackie Tar/Statten Island/College Hornpipe
(V-1,III-12,III-15,IV-5, VII-28)
Auld Rosin the Bow (XII-24)
My Love is but a Lassie Yet/Petronella (I-16,I-3)
Da Road to Houll (VII-1)
The Red Haired Boy (not in PVSFC)
Crossing the Minch (III-1)
Braes of Mar/Jenny Dang the Weaver (I-17,III-2)
Loch Leven Castle (I-3)
Hamish Henderson's Refusal/Tam Lin (II-22,XI-5)
Scott Skinner's Welcome to Inverness/Lime Hill/Father Francis Cameron (IX-3,I-21,II-23)
Sarah the Merchant/Smith's a Gallant Fireman (I-2,I-2)
Neil Gow's Lamentation for James Moray, Esq. of Abercarney (XIII-3) - HOMEWORK!
Cairny Mount (II-1)
Hills of Glenorchy (I-22)

Thanks to all for staying and playing!

1 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Barbara,

JC's ABC Tune Finder is a great source of at least one version of a tune.

Go there, and do a search on "Scott Skinner's Welcome", and it should come up, in a variety of formats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home