Friday, December 01, 2017

We need a new home. Here's what happened at Fiona's for the November jam.

It's with great regret that I have to report that Fiona's has decided they no longer want to host the Scottish Jam Session. I'm not sure why, in total, but I suspect that part of it had to do with the jam wasn't bringing in the same revenue that private parties using the same room were bringing. In short, we aren't eating and drinking enough.

I'm going to begin the search for a new location for 2018, and until we have a home, the jam is on hold. We've had offers to host in a home for the December meeting, and if I decide to accept, I'll pass along that info.

If you know of a pub in the area that might be willing to host us, please let me know.

So here's what happened.

I arrived for the jam early, to have lunch, and when I told the host why I was there, he hesitated and told me he was getting the manager. Turned out to be the owner. The owner told me they were not going to honor our reservation for the room, and wanted us to play out on the blustery patio. I said that was not reasonable, for the sake of the instruments, and tried to negotiate. I got him to agree to let us *maybe* have part of the time we had reserved, because the previous group wouldn't be done and another had been booked starting at 4:30. I asked about the bar area, and was told we couldn't use that space because the three open tables there were also reserved. I was told that the bumping of our reservation was a "matter of revenue".

I said I'd wait outside to let the song circle people know what was going on and wait until we could get in the room. When I went outside, I was ignored by the waitstaff, and it seemed like they were not going to accommodate us, and if I were going to get the word out, I had to go home immediately.

Apparently between the time I dashed home to put the word out to cancel the jam and when 2 PM rolled around, the manager relented and gave the room to the group and the jam happened without me.

After making the above info public on Facebook, however, Fiona's owner contacted me and ended our arrangement with them formally - though it was pretty clear he was done with us when I showed up on the day. I don't know what went wrong. We loved that place, and heard nothing but good things from the manager (Amber) and the staff. But the owner is the owner, so we are out.


1 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Sue E. Genaris said...

The new French Quarter Brasserie & Oyster Bar in Fairfax city has a room for private events. Since they are just getting started they may welcome an event that would bring new people to their restaurant. they already host a weekly blues jam. Here's contact info from their website:
info@frenchquarterdc.com

703-357-1957

 

Post a Comment

<< Home